Clark Fork River - West of Cabinet Gorge Dam to Lake Pend Oreille
The Clark Fork River in Bonner County Idaho extends from Cabinet Gorge Dam on the Idaho Montana board to Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho. The Cabinet Gorge Dam was completed in 1952. It produces 231 megawatts annually, is 200 feet high and 600 wide, and creates a 20 miles long reservoir into Montana. There is an overlook at the dam site. This river from the dam progresses through some rapids and eventually slows to a wide river and extensive marsh area until it empties into Lake Pend Oreille. This river is extremely popular for fishing, kayaking, and canoie. The entire river and river delta is a no wake area. Fishing: Large and Small Mouth Bass, Aggregate limit of 6; no size limit. Rainbow & Lake Trout, aggregate limit 6; no size restrictions. Fish species closed to harvest: Bull, Cutthroat, & Kokanee Trout. Call the Idaho Department of Fish & Game for changes in these rules at 208-769-1414. Cabinet Gorge Dam Directions: Off of HWY 200 on Idaho Montana Border. Directions: See specific launches and access points, and info below. Maps: To view a map click on http://www.mapquest.com and type in Clark Fork Idaho to view the river in either direction via aerial setting.
SEE PICTURES AND INFO ABOUT BOAT LAUNCHES/ACCESS POINTS BELOW!
Lower Clark Fork River Boat Launches & Camping - Traveling from the Dam west to Lake Pend Oreille
1. Clark Fork Fish Hatchery & Launch - Large gravel launch, beach, hatchery with fish ladder, restroom, running water. For more info contact Idaho Department of Fish & Game. This launch is just down stream from the Dam. The prefer only drift boats to launch from this site as there are other spots of the river where kayaks/canoes can launch from. This is a no motor launch site. You must call first to get permission to launch from this site as if you do not call they may not allow you to use the site. Directions: In Clark Fork Idaho on HWY 200 - turn south onto Stephen Rd. (fish hatchery signs point the way), then left/east onto River Rd. Follow this road all the way to ware you will turn left (north) onto Cabinet Gorge Rd. Follow this road down to the gorge where the railroad tracks are, cross the tracks at the hatchery sign. Park in the parking lot at the office and sign in at the office.
|Sometimes there is a yellow metal|
barrier that prevents launching
3. River Delta Resort - Paved launch, camping for RV and tents, cabins, lodge, restrooms, running water, store. Directions: On HWY 200 between Clark Fork Idaho and the Idaho Montana border you will see a sign on the south side of the road, pointing out the road that leads to this resort. Near male marker 60.
4. Colby Landing Resort - Steep bank access site, rocky beach, small parking area, no restroom or running water. Not well suited for launching kayaks/canoes from due to the very steep bank but is possible. Well suited for fishing from during summer water levels. Directions: In Clark For Idaho on HWY 200 - turn south onto Stephen Rd. Then left/east onto River Road continue on this road crossing the bridge over the river and continue on this road for about 4 miles. There is no sign along the road designating this site. The gravel road to this site is about a mile up the road from River Lake Dr. and there is a single tan house across the road from the access road. The place you park is next to a double set of railroad tracks. There is also a sign in-between the tracks that says Colby. ATTENTION please watch for trains and do not parking your vehicle or place any craft you have near the railroad tracks.
6. River Lake Resort - Paved launch, camping for RV and tents, restrooms, running water, butane fuel available. ATTENTION one can only use the launch at this resort via camping at this resort or calling to get pre-approval to use the launch if not staying at this resort. Just up river from this resort is a Island on the north side of the river. Directions: In Clark For Idaho on HWY 200 - turn south onto Stephen Rd. Then left/east onto River Road continue on this road crossing the bridge over the river and continue on this road for about 3 miles. Turn left (north) onto River Lake Dr. When the road T's turn left to the resort.
11. Clark Fork River Driftyard - launch, restroom, parking, 3 day camping limit, no running water. This site is closed from March 1through June 15 for water foul nesting. For further information contact the Idaho Department of Fish & Game at 208-769-1414 or http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ Directions: Idaho on HWY 200 between Clark Fork and Hope Idaho - Turn south onto Driftwood Yard Road. Follow this road to its end. Physical features clue... looking southwest and seeing a lot of driftwood. Driftwood Yard Road is, of course, next to all the driftwood.